Instructions for Authors
Peer Review Process
Papers submitted to Ticker must be original. By submitting a manuscript for review, authors acknowledge first publication rights are granted to Ticker. Submission of a manuscript implies that the work described has not been published, is not under consideration for publication elsewhere, and has been approved for publication by all co-authors and by institutional authorities where the work was conducted.
It is the author’s responsibility to obtain all necessary permissions and pay any necessary fees for the inclusion of copyrighted materials, such as figures and tables from other publications. Appropriate credit should be attributed in the body of the work. Previously published work will not be considered for publication, nor will simultaneous submissions.
Reviewers are from the Academic Business Library Directors member institutions. Research manuscripts will be read by at least two reviewers within approximately six weeks of submission.
Open Access Policy
This journal provides immediate open access to its content on the principle that making research freely available to the public supports a greater global exchange of knowledge
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal. There are no author fees or submission fees. Authors are encouraged to post their work to an institutional or disciplinary repository.
Preparing the Manuscript
Regardless of whether your manuscript is undergoing Editorial or Peer Review, please follow all of the guidelines listed below:
The following elements are required for any manuscript submitted to Ticker.
1. Filetype: The file format should be Microsoft Word.
2. Text: Please follow these guidelines:
- Single-spaced, 12pt font.
- For emphasis, use bold or italics, not underlining.
- To enhance accessibility, do not include hyperlinks in the body text. Instead, include an APA-formatted reference in the body text, and include a complete hyperlink in the Reference list.
- All images and figures should be placed within the text at the points where the author(s) want them to be seen.
3. Keywords: Authors should supply a minimum of three keywords or key terms.
4. Author(s) Information:
- Author(s)' full preferred name
- Institution Name*, City, State/Province/Religion, Country
- Author's email address
- ORCiD (optional)
*Institution in this case refers to the parent institution, not a unit within an institution. For example, an author who works at the Kresge Library within the University of Michigan would only include University of Michigan.
Author 1 Name
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, United States
Author 2 Name
University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Author 3 Name
University of Lagos, Akoka, Lagos, Nigeria
5. References: Regardless of whether the manuscript undergoes editorial or peer review, please cite in accordance with the current APA Publication Manual. In-text citations should include author and date: (Smith, 1983). There should also be an alphabetical References list at the end of the manuscript. References should not be placed in footnotes. If recommending a resource — without necessarily paraphrasing or quoting it — a proper APA-formatted reference is still required both in-text and in the References list.
5a. Conference Report References: When reporting on conferences, proper APA-formatted citations are still required (both in-text and a References list). When hyperlinks are available, please follow these guidelines:
– YES: the main institutional or event (e.g. conference/meeting/symposium) website.
– YES: stable online storage (e.g. repositories, proceedings institutional or event website).
– NO: a presenter’s individual cloud storage.
The following two elements might be required for select manuscripts submitted to Ticker:
1. Abstract: Authors should prepare an abstract of no more than 300 words for manuscripts submitted for peer-review. Articles that undergo double-blind peer-review are only published in these sections:
– Feature Articles
– Teaching & Learning
2. Introduction: Authors do not need to prepare an abstract if their manuscript is published in these sections. Instead the editor(s) for that section will write an introduction that contextualizes the manuscript.
– Teaching & Learning (Case studies undergo Editorial review and do not require an introduction.)
– Business Libraries by Design
– International Outlook
– Conference Reports
– Opinion & Thought Pieces
- You have obtained permission for any third-party material that is used in the submission, including images.
- If you create or obtain photographs/images of other parties (e.g. a speaker at a conference) please obtain permission from those parties to have their likeness included in your Ticker submission.
- Images should be in the appropriate sections of the manuscript.
- Janeway system, uploading separate file(s) that duplicates the images.
Submitting the Manuscript
Please ensure that submission has not been previously published, nor is it before another journal for consideration.
Email submissions to the sections editors listed on the website for the section of interest.
In fall of 2024, Ticker will begin utilizing the Janeway publication platform. All submissions for the July 2024 issue should be emailed directly to Section Editors. But all submissions after July 2024 should be submitted via Janeway. Updated directions regarding the Janeway submission process will be added soon.