Call for Book Reviews
The Michigan Journal of Community Service-Learning invites book reviews of recent (published within the last five years) literature about service-learning and community-based research that not only describe a work’s content and approach but also examine the ways in which the work can be applied to pedagogy, practice, and policy.
Books selected for review should offer new scholarly perspectives on important issues in community-based teaching and learning and engaged scholarship for diverse audiences, including faculty, students, or community members and partners.
A successful book review will:
- Align with the themes and tone reflected in MJCSL, including promoting the vision of academic service-learning, community partnerships, and engaged scholarship as areas of rigorous pedagogy and scholarship.
- Describe the book’s content, philosophy, or framework, analyze the arguments or methodology, and clarify how the work may expand upon or contribute to the literature in the field of service-learning, campus-community partnerships, and engaged scholarship.
- Identify the primary and secondary audiences for the work, which may address any of the many stakeholders of community-based teaching and learning.
- Critically examine the evidence laid out in the book and offer concrete implications for practice, management, or policy.
- Identify the new perspectives and expertise that the author(s) bring.
- Showcase excellent writing that strays from jargon and may serve practitioners working in a variety of contexts.
- Be, in its own right, a valuable contribution to the literature on community service-learning.
Book reviews should be no more than 1,000 words in length and conform to APA style guidelines.
Book reviews are submitted directly to the book review editor via email. Along with your book review, please submit:
- Title and affiliation of each book review author.
- Correspondence address for each author, including email
- A 2-3 sentence biography of each author
For questions or to discuss a possible book review, please contact our book review editor using this form.